MVA Fund reduces medical expenses
Featured

21 June 2019 Author  

The Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) Fund has managed to reduce its medical expenses on road crash victims from over N$200 million in 2017/18 to N$158 million during the 2018/19 financial year, Chief Executive Officer Rosalia Martins-Hausiku has said.

Martins-Hausiku said this when the MVA Fund management presented an update on its activities to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Economic and Public Administration in the capital on Wednesday.

The MVA Fund CEO attributed the decrease in the amount spent on medical expenses mainly to an education campaign targeting road users. 
She added that the fund had done “everything possible” to reduce medical expenses compared from N$203.4 million a year before.
“This can be reduced even more if crashes keep going down, because we are also planning to do away with injury grants and rather improve on medical benefits,” Martins-Hausiku said.
So far this year, the Khomas Region has recorded the highest number of crashes at 1,364, followed by Erongo with 426, Oshana 380, Otjozondjupa 316 and Oshikoto with 221 crashes.
The fund is planning to establish an emergency centre between Rundu and Katima Mulilo, Otavi and Otjiwarongo.
“We are considering the south also, even though there are no massive crashes recorded that side at the moment, we just don’t want to get caught napping,” the CEO said.

WINDHOEK OBSERVER

The Windhoek Observer is an English-language weekly newspaper, published in Namibia by Paragon Investment Holding. It is the country's oldest and largest circulating weekly.

Contact Us

Windhoek Observer House
c/o John Meinert & Rossini Street
Windhoek West
Namibia
Tel: +264 61 411 800
Fax: +264 61 226 098
www.observer.com.na