Windhoek Show starts 28 September
Featured

07 September 2018 Author   Rinelda Mouton
Visitors to this year’s Windhoek Industrial and Agricultural Show (WIAS), which starts on 28 September, can expect more stalls and new rides, Windhoek Show Society (WSS) Executive Vice President, Harald Schmidt, has said. 
There will also be a presentation area, where exhibitors will be able to tell visitors more about their products.
“This is a bigger platform for them to showcase their products,” Schmidt said.
Tickets to the show will once again cost N$40 for adults and N$20 for children per day. Children younger than six years and pensioners enter for free.
“We did not see the need to increase the prices. Our economy is still struggling. Our main aim is for our clients to come and have fun,” Schmidt said.
This year will mark the last time that children in school uniforms will pay only N$5 to gain entry into the show grounds.  Schmidt says the costs of running the fair prevent continuation of payment of such a low entry fee.
“I see children having a lot of fun when they come here, but it has become unaffordable for us to accommodate them at this low entrance fee. We have noticed that these children are using a lot of water and this is causing us to get a high water bill.
“We have also gotten feedback from our stakeholders who are looking for clients who will buy goods and support them. These kids normally walk pass the stalls and only pick up flyers.”
This year, over 1,200 livestock are expected at the show grounds, down from the 1,600 livestock at last year’s show.
Schmidt attributed the decrease in livestock numbers to the drought that was experienced in the country in the past few years.
He added that starting this year, organisers will keep a database of people who will attend the show.
“We have never done this before. We are going to keep records of who enters. We also want to know how many foreigners are attending our event,” Schmidt said.
About 200 stalls out of 340 have already been booked. Those interested in booking the remaining stalls can still apply. The closing date is on 20 September.
Over 98,000 visitors are expected to attend this year’s show compared to 108,000 visitors in 2016.
“The economic crisis our country is experiencing is preventing some people from attending entertainment events. Our country’s economy has not improved yet,” Schmidt said.
To address the problem of long lines at toilets, the water pressure in the bathrooms will be increased this year.
“This will allow the toilets to get fuller much faster. We often experience long lines at the toilets on Thursday (the night of the fireworks) and on the last evening. Most of our visitors prefer to come on these days,” Schmidt explained.
Each year there are incidents of theft and car break-in’s reported. To ensure the safety of show attendees, 100 cameras have been installed inside the venue.
“These cameras are being watched closely by city police offers. About 80 percent of criminals are caught each year. We would like our visitors to take care of their belongings and to be on the lookout for criminals.”
For more information about the Windhoek Show contact 061 224748.

WINDHOEK OBSERVER

The Windhoek Observer is an English-language weekly newspaper, published in Namibia by Paragon Investment Holding. It is the country's oldest and largest circulating weekly.

Contact Us

Windhoek Observer House
c/o John Meinert & Rossini Street
Windhoek West
Namibia
Tel: +264 61 411 800
Fax: +264 61 226 098
www.observer.com.na