With leave on the horizon, you will have down time at home in the village, chillin’ in the city while everyone else is gone, staying with relatives for a bit, at a tourist lodge or camping somewhere in beautiful Namibia or out of the country on a beach (or in the snow) somewhere.
Whatever your choice, if you are online and want to just CHILL OUT, binge watch a TV series or watch holiday movies. You could also pre-load some of these goodies on your laptop or tablet and enjoy them as time allows in places that may not have internet connections.
Get the popcorn, nut mixes, burgers, braaivleis of your choice, fried fat food, snacks, sweets, cakes, brownies, cookies, and chopped fruit and have some fun. Make some iced tea or coffee or just get a cool drink or better still, JUICE! Otherwise, go for some egg nog, beer, or pink champagne! If you knock back a shot or two of the ‘hot stuff’ while you are watching the shows, some of these holiday favourites will become even funnier.
We got our heads together here at the Windhoek Observer, and thought up our favourite classic holiday movies and entertaining TV series that we would watch (if we had the time!).
Here are some of our top choices:
1. Since Tyler Perry has announced that the hilarious sista’-with-an-attitude and a purpose in life, Madea will be retiring, binge watch all of her movies. Make sure you watch the 2013, Madea’s Christmas movie.
2. For those with absolutely NOTHING to do on down days until you have to start work in January, go back to the first Star Wars movie of 1976 and binge watch them all! And, may the force be with you.
You can top this off with a trip to the Ster Kinekor for the latest in the series, Episode 9, The Rise of Skywalker, opening on December 20, 2019. You might want to do the prequel movies FIRST and then get into the original star wars series after, just to keep things straight. Enjoy the light sabre battles and have some fun!
3. Watch Frozen the original edition with the kids and then take them to the movies to watch Frozen 2 when it opens in January 2020. “Let it Go!”
4. Go to the Marvel Universe. Do it! Watch ALL of them, in order. Don’t just watch the Avengers series, but also enjoy Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spider Man, Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange, Captain America, Captain Marvel and of course, the Black Panther (Wakanda forever!). You can spread it out over a week.
5. Holiday classic watching has to be the Home Alone movies. Imagine that the original movie was released the year Namibia won its independence!
6. Of course there are the old time classic holiday cartoon movies like A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) or Frosty the Snowman (1969). Have a laugh at the old school ‘tech’ used in movies back then.
7. There are many renditions of Charles Dickens’ Christmas Carol (with Scrooge and all of that stuff – Ba humbug!). Find one on YouTube and watch it.
8. You can also see The Best Man’s Holiday (2013) with Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Terrance Howard and Nia Long. Make sure you stream This Christmas (2007) with Chris Brown (without all the tattoos), Regina King, and the sexy Idris Elba!
9. You simply must see Last Holiday (2006) with Queen Latifa and LL Cool J – This is a nice love story with great funny parts.
10. For the final nothing-to-do holiday binge, watch the Game of Thrones from Season One, episode one all the way to the less-than-spectacular end in Season Eight. Make sure you have at least a week set aside for this one. We believe in dragons.