Financial woes haunt Brave Warriors

The Namibia Football Association (NFA) on Wednesday called on government to come and explain to the Brave Warriors players that all monies due to them will be paid as soon as the association receives their money from the State.
 
Speaking ahead of the Brave Warriors departure to Senegal on Thursday, for their final 2017 Confederation of African Football (CAF) Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group K qualifiers match, to be played on Saturday, NFA Secretary General Barry Rukoro said it was important for the Sports Commission and the Directorate of Sports to come and address the players.
 
“These players are owed a lot of money for matches played, and going into the Senegal game, it is becoming increasingly difficult for the NFA to keep telling the players that we have not received our money from government yet; and so it is my responsibility to invite Walter Haseb and Shivute Katamba to come and explain to the players how the process of money release works,” Rukoro said.
 
He commended the players for their patience and for remaining committed to the national cause, despite the financial challenges.
 
“It is not easy for the players, but the way they have handled themselves is exemplary. They understand the situation and will go to Senegal on Thursday with integrity and the ever-present will to represent their country,” Rukoro said.
 
The game against Senegal, who have already qualified for Gabon, will merely be academic for the Brave Warriors, after the national football team managed only two wins throughout the qualifiers.
 
The team also failed to travel to Pretoria last week for a scheduled training at the High Performance Centre, due to a lack of funds.
 
 “I’m not happy with the preparation leading to this weekend, but we have to remain professionals and will deal with it, and see how best to get around it. It is up to us to get the mentality of the players’ right,” coach Ricardo Mannetti said.
 
Captain Ronald Ketjijere and Peter Shalulile pulled out of the team, due to injury concerns.
 
The following 18 players will travel to Senegal: Max Mbaeva (Golden Arrows), Virgil Vries (Maritzburg United), Da costa Angula (Unattached), Chris Katjiukua (Golden Arrows) Ferdinand Karongee (Tigers), Tiberius Lombard (Tura Magic), Edmund Kambanda( UNAM), Oswaldo Xamseb (Tura Magic), Deon Hotto (Bloemfontein Celtic), Hendrick Somaeb (Unattached), Petrus Shitembi (Unattached), Absalom Iimbondi (Tigers), Larry Horaeb (Black Africa), Ananias Gebhardt (Jomo Cosmos), Wangu Gome (Bidvest Wits), Benson Shilongo (Platinum Stars), Dynamo Fredericks (Black Africa) and Itamunua Keimuine (Tura Magic).
 
– nfa.org
 
 

PrintEmail

Ads