Blockbuster Simon/Meroro fight in doubt

22 June 2018 Author   Michael Uugwanga
The highly-anticipated fight between undefeated former world champion Harry ‘Terminator’ Simon (45) and Vikapita ‘Beast Master’ Meroro (33) has been thrown into major doubt after the two boxers
failed to meet the required weight for their Cruiserweight non-title bout scheduled to take place on 30 June at the former Ramatex Factory in Windhoek.
The Windhoek Observer understands that Merero is overweight for the division while Simon is slightly underweight.
Namibia Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control Board (NPBWC) spokesperson Ronald Kurtz confirmed in an interview with the Windhoek Observer on Thursday that Meroro weighed in at more than 100kg last week, which is too heavy for the cruiserweight division, while Simon, who is currently training in South Africa, weighed in at 92kg.
A boxer in the cruiserweight division should not weigh more than 92,7 kg.
Krutz also said the NPBWC has not yet sanctioned the fight as they have not received an official letter from the promoter.
Simon is promoting the fight through his Onkugo promotions.
Krutz, however, said the fight can still go ahead if the boxers, particularly Simon, agree on moving up to the heavyweight division where there is no limit on weight.
“Simon needs to tell us if he will move up or if he will have another replacement,” Krutz said.
Joseph ‘Smokey’ Hilongwa, who is responsible for logistics for the mouthwatering fight refused comment, saying an official press conference on the matter is scheduled for next week Tuesday.
“I cannot comment on that. There will be a press conference next week to announce whether the fight will take place or not,” Hilongwa said.
Salute Boxing Academy also refused comment as Meroro is being promoted for the fight by  former Sunshine Boxing Academy trainer Immanuel ‘Imms’ Moses, who is now the owner of AC Boxing and Fitness Gym.
Moses is currently in Russia ahead of Willbeforce Shihepo’s vacant International Boxing Federation (IBF) International Cruiserweight title fight scheduled for Saturday against Aleksei Papin.
“I am not sure if the fight will take place or not. I gave Meroro to Imms to train him. I am supporting both boxers,” Salute Boxing Academy owner Kiriata Kamanya said.
Moses is expected back in the country by Sunday, 24 June.
Simon won his first world title in 1998 when he beat Wright to capture the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) world Super welterweight title, before he won the WBO Middleweight world title against Hacine Cherifi of France in 2001.
Simon lost his titles in 2002 when he was unable to defend them due to injuries sustained in a horrific car crash.
Meroro, who has a record of 35 fights, 28 wins and seven defeats, has lost his last three fights against Dmitry Kudryashov of Russia in 2015, Kevin Lerena of South Africa in 2017 and Maksim Vlasov also from Russia.
 
 
 

WINDHOEK OBSERVER

The Windhoek Observer is an English-language weekly newspaper, published in Namibia by Paragon Investment Holding. It is the country's oldest and largest circulating weekly.

Contact Us

Windhoek Observer House
c/o John Meinert & Rossini Street
Windhoek West
Namibia
Tel: +264 61 411 800
Fax: +264 61 226 098
www.observer.com.na